Neem is one of the most used herb in Ayurveda, Naturopathy and Homeopathy medicines. And India being their origin it makes sense why every Indian household swears by neem leaves in their daily health care. Neem is called the ‘cure-all’ ingredient, and are known to contain nimbin, nimbinen, nimbolide, nimandial, ninbinene and other beneficial compounds that gives it antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, antiseptic, analgesic, anti pyretic, anti diabetic, anti fungal, blood-purifying qualities.
Neem being such an all curing ingredient is no surprise that it is a bliss when it comes to your hair and skin.
What is Neem?
Neem or Azadirachta indica belong to the managing family of trees which grows in the Indian subcontinent. Although it now grows in certain parts of Middle East as well. I have read that a neem tree has over 130 different biologically active compounds and the Neem leaf is one of the most complex leaves you can find on the planet. However though Neem happens to be one of the most beneficial leaves, it should not be taken in excess! A pregnant woman should not consume Neem.
Neem has immense benefits for your skin and hair, it can alleviate most of your skin and hair woes. Since it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it is used as one of the main ingredients in a range of cosmetic products. You will be amazed to know that neem fights acne, reduces dandruff, reduces fine lines and wrinkles and does so much more. So you can add neem in your beauty regime to solve all your beauty problems naturally.
BENEFITS OF NEEM FOR THE SKIN
- Moisturizes skin – The leaves Moisturize the skin keeping it soft and supple.
- Cures Acne – Boil a cup of neem leaves in water till the leaves are soft and discoloured and the water turns green. Strain and store in a bottle. Add some water in your regular bathing water to get rid of acne, infection and body odour. A neem face pack grinding a few neem leaves with some water work best to treat the pimple and acne problems.
- Treats Pigmentation – If you suffer from pigmentation and depigmentation issues, try this face pack. Add some gram flour to your neem powder and prepare a paste with lemon. Apply liberally over your face and body and wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Oil Control – Neem helps in controlling excess oil production. Prepare a paste of neem leaves, yogurt and lemon and apply it on your face. Wash away after 20 minutes.
- Exfoliation – Neem leaves are good exfoliators. They help in the removal of dead skin cells. Add some ground orange peel powder to the neem leaves paste and mix in a few drops of olive oil. Use this mixture as a gentle exfoliator and leave it for 15 minutes after scrubbing. Wash away with lukewarm water. This helps in the removal of black heads and white heads.
- Clear and Glowing skin – Take some neem leaves and rose petals. Now, grind them with a little rosewater. Apply this paste and let it dry on your skin. Then remove the paste with water. You’ll get smooth, soft and clear skin along with a glowing complexion.
- Treats Skin Infection – Neem has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Neem paste for skin treats various types of diseases, such as eczema and psoriasis. It also soothes skin infections and inflammations.
- Anti-aging Benefits – Neem slows down the aging process of your skin as it has regenerative properties. Mix some sandalwood powder in t neem paste and apply it on your skin. It soothes, cools and keeps all age-related skin issues away.
Prepare a Toner with Neem leaves —-
Take a wide bottom pan and add 500ml distilled water in it and two handful of Neem leaves in it. Now leave it to for in medium flame till the water becomes half and turns green. Turn off the flame and let it cool. Now strain the water in a bottle. You can store it in the fridge for a month. Use this every day for best results.
Best Home-made Masks for Skin with Neem —-
- Sandal wood and neem pack – for clear skin
- Gram flour and neem pack – for oily skin
- Neem paste and tomato pulp – for clear, bright and moisturized skin
- Neem and honey – for acne prone skin
BENEFITS OF NEEM FOR HAIR
- Treats Scalp Infection – The anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties deal with all kinds of scalp infection and also at the same time condition your hair to add luster to your dull and dry hair. To use a nourishing neem hair pack – warm few tablespoons of olive oil and add two teaspoons of neem oil to it. Mix this well and massage it on your scalp using circular motions. Wash it off using a mild shampoo after an hour.
- Treating Hairfall -The anti-microbial and blood purifying properties of neem leaves address the root causes of hair loss, thereby stimulating the growth of healthy strong hair. Get some fresh neem leaves and grind them into a fine paste with medium consistency (if you grind coarsely, you will find it very difficult to rinse the hair and remove the remnants). You can add some hot water if needed. Apply the paste to your hair from the root to the tip. Also, don’t ignore the scalp. Keep it for an hour and wash thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- Treating Dandruff – Neem oil is an excellent way to get rid of dandruff and so is regular use of neem water.
- For Hair Growth – Neem oil and neem water does not only treat dandruff and scalp problems but also stimulates hair growth!
Hope you all find this helpful!
Till next time! Keep glowing! <3